Friday, November 7, 2008

Nasty Tasting Mints

We have all gotten the mints on our check at the end of a meal. This is an effort by the waitstaff to receive a bigger tip in giving out mints before the bill has to be decided. Being a very selective individual when it comes to the type of mints I will actually ingest, this very gracious act can work against certain staff trying to help themselves out. I consider myself very generous, always giving the benefit of the doubt on service and usually dish out at least 20%. For me to give less than the standard twenty percent, the waitstaff has to do absolutely nothing or perform so badly that I want to walk out the restaurant all together. Hearing how tough it is to work in the service industry, especially in a major metropolitan area, these people deserve to be treated well - meaning tip-wise. That being said, skip the before mints and ask for a preference when first taking any orders. 

No comments: