Monday, December 1, 2008

Transporting Life, Yet Again

After Thanksgiving dinner last week, I got in the car with all my winter possessions, needed items, and some useless items, and began the drive westward. Of course I had to stop in Chicago to hang with my cronies for a few days, that is exactly what went down. Upon arriving in Chicago at the Quateman's house, Pat was absolutely shitfaced talking all kinds of nonsense that was as hilarious as it was personal defamation of character to himself. Eva was doing all she could to keep him out of the bourbon, however he was able to sneak a glass and down the entire glass in the same move. Hysterical. Next I was able to spend some time with Lily, who has become a truly good "friend." Whether we are being arrested, sent to bed by persons with wet dripping wet hair, or leaving the scene of certain Eurotrash, a good time is had by all.
The inevitable situation of leaving to traverse across the country had to happen following a much enjoyable lunch with Lily, Ryan, Pat, and Moe. Just thinking back on the less than two days spent there and multiple times with said people beforehand, only good memories come to mind. The good kind of reminiscing. At 1pm, the drive to Montana was started. Since daylight savings time is over, all the boring parts such as Minnesota, and South Dakota were traversed through at nigh time. Even though I had roughly eleven hours of sleep logged the previous two nights, I wasn't tired until around 1:30 am in the late half of South Dakota, upon which I promptly took 10mg of adderall. The worst portion of the drive happened around 3 - 5:30am in Wyoming on 90, where there was at least three inches of snow on the expressway, blizzard-like conditions, no visibility for more than 50ft or less, and multiple cars off the road. Another crack dosage was then taken, 35mph was driven for a little over two hours, and I am pretty sure that little episode took years off of my life. The shitty thing was that with so much upper in my system, every time I pulled over was a waste. I couldn't rest, sit still, or just sit and wait for it to be over, my mind and body said - lets fucking go man. And that's exactly what I did, driving behind plow trucks, when they were there, at 35mph with no other sounds than the wind gusts of snow on the car. 
When I finally made it to the Montana border, tears of joy were shed. Not only was my journey coming to an end but I had made it out the the worst possible driving conditions I have faced thus far in life. The sun was just rising when I entered Montana and it was certainly a gorgeous sight with vast terrain, snowcapped mountains, and a beautiful sun rising behind me. Visited with my uncle for a few hours, of which some was spent catching much needed zzzz's after 24 strait hours of driving, then continued on to my new place of residence. Initially I was planning on staying in employee housing but after finding this place on Craigslist, I was sold. Great log home, nice people renting the room, they have dogs - always a plus, king size bed that can sleep ten, and a welcoming meal upon arrival. Surprisingly, I was able to chat and sit through a normal meal before going into a much needed 11 hour coma. 

Things accomplished: nice Thanksgiving with family, spent time with good friends in Chicago, convinced certain "friend" to visit soon, drove 24 strait hours, and have a more than exceptional place to live for the next 4 1/2 months. Satisfied? 3/4 tank full.  

No comments: