Saturday, December 13, 2008

Frigid, F*ck My Fingers

Once I walked out the front door at a quarter to six this morning and my boys retreated right back up into the warmth, I had an idea of just how cold it was. The day started out around 5 degrees, which is enough to make your bullocks tingle, ending around the -10 region down here in the meadow. Up on the peak is an entirely different story being that the first ski run started around 3 degrees -10 windchill, only to be -7 with a -15 windchill less than two hours later. With the snow accumulation of over six inches in the last fifteen hours the Lone Peak Tram opened up Liberty Bowl and all its glorious waist deep powder. Being from the Midwest hardpack skiing environment, I indulged hard. After only a few hundred feet down the 10,400+ft peak of paper accompanied by paper thin breathing, my quads screamed for a relief. Well boys, hold on, this is too good to stop. Every turn was like busting through cloud after cloud of pure powder, no matter how many other enthusiasts had been there on opening day to soak up all they could handle. The bowl was truly magnificent.
Not until trekking down the cat track was I able to rid my fingers of the burning sensation from the below zero temperatures penetrating right through all the cold weather gear. Skiing the pure goodness that is powder makes one forget about such things as being cold, and prevents the much dreaded pussy remark from your group. When your hands go from warm to burning hot, meaning the sensation is like fire they are so cold, you know the weather is not conducive to skiing all day. Luckily it was only my ski break, therefore I was not wasting an unbelievable powder day due to the conditions. 

Days in Montana: 13
Days Skied: 10
Powder Days: 2

No comments: