Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Busted


Yes, if you are wondering what the hell I have been doing the last few weeks aside from not posting on my favorite posting site, I broke my leg. Unfortunately it was no extravagant accident. It happened last Monday in the bowl at Big Sky. A coworker of mine and I were bombing Challenger runs, cliffs, then moved over into the bowl where we conquered the Elevator Shaft - lookers left of the bowl on the far end of the Turkey Traverse where the steepness of the terrain is judged by the size of your balls. The Elevator shaft is 40ft of rocks on both sides that has to be pointed(straitlined) the entire way down, of which was mastered before my buddy Jules had to go back to work. After that I met up with my roommate Gray to explore lookers right side of the bowl, which I had not ventured toward since coming through the LRT chute toward the triple. We get to the first knoll on lookers right about 1/4 up into the bowl and I start my charge. Can;t even begin to tell you how fast I was going, Gray says, "fast as a speeding bullet in Nam." I easily clear the rock knoll by a good 25-30ft before floating back into some gnar powder, not realizing exactly how close the cattrack is at that point. My train of thought was to huck the cattrack with a nice cross 3 but before I realize anything a 3ft drop followed closely by a sudden incline in the side of the track throws my weight first forward then all the way back. Suddenly, I cannot regain control and brace for a soft landing in thigh deep powder. Doing a reverse superman, feet first, into the snow grabs the tails of my skis and snaps my left leg fibula in a 3/4 fracture. 

Bump, slam, fuck.

A Moonlight ski patrol makes his way over to see if I am ok while I grind my teeth in agony and unbuckle the left boot to allow swelling to ensue. He radios in and soon enough I am surrounded by Gray and two other ski patrolers bargaining with me to take a toboggan down to the medical clinic. Those of you who know me will agree that if there isn't something terribly wrong or I am unconscious, there is no way in hell I am using assistance of any kind. Well, let me tell you what, after walking 20ft and trying to put one of my skis on, the pain was unbearable enough to merit the use of aid. Sure enough the xrays confirmed my premonitions of a fracture right at the top of my boot. Shit. 
After going to two doctors, one at Big Sky who is an allergist by training - I know, and the other who is a US Ski Team doctor, they both concluded the same thing. I will be able to walk in two to three weeks and hopefully surf in a week down in Costa Rica, if I'm lucky that is. My vitamin regimen currently consists of - vitamin K, krill oil, cod liver oil, a multi vitamin, l-lysine, vitamin D, bone structure, and cilli minerals in hopes of all these things being able to repair a fracture in less than two weeks - no I'm not high either, just hopeful. If all goes well in this next week, I will proceed to Costa, if not - I bought travel insurance. 

No comments: