Monday, October 27, 2008

Equipment Malfunctions

While playing cards with some good friends today, the object I make phone calls from fell two feet to the floor. This crash made the instrument malfunction for the next two hours, turning on and off, making noises, doing security checks randomly, and blinking the red light indicator for messages. I would not have normally found this so annoying but due to an interview that could change the future that takes place tomorrow morning, I was a bit irritated. Not that it could make such a drastic impact on what could potentially happen in the next few years. So I played with this phone for a few hours getting nowhere in the process until making it back to my apartment, handing the phone to my roommate, and him magically fixing it in the process. Do I have any idea what he did that made the phone work like new? Not a clue. The important thing is is that it works again. 
Don't we all hate when something is supposed to work and then that thing doesn't work, especially when it is needed? This argument goes back to be dependent on technology for functioning in society everyday. I know that I feel at least partially naked when I don't have my cell phone on me. It has become a burden. The best summer in my existence was in Europe, which happened to be minus cell phone. No one to call in boredom, no missed calls to respond to, text messages, etc. I do enjoy talking to and spending time with people but when you add a cell phone to the equation, all hope is lost to gain full attention. Even though I try my best to enjoy the time I spend with people, it's hard to turn off all communication with everyone who isn't there. We are all guilty of this and need to make it a point to spend quality time with people we care about. 

Turn it off. TURN it off. Off

No comments: