Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Footsteps

Footsteps footsteps footsteps. In childhood we always find ourselves admiring a certain individual and try to follow in their footsteps. When I was a kid I was so busy harassing other kids, learning the ways of the woods, hunting and gathering, playing all sorts of sports, and doing other activities that involved being outside. This made it hard to find another role model beside Davy Crocket - King of The Old Frontier. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I thought the world of the man in the coon-skin hat. Currently there is a toss-up between Forrest Gump and T. Boone Pickens. One of whom can't be followed and the other I haven't the faintest idea why he has recently emerged to help with the energy crisis at such a later time in life after amassing a fortune in oil. 
My aspirations since finding out what investment banking analysts do, what their lifestyle is, perks are, job consists of, and job prospects later become, have been to be one. This would be following in my older brother's footsteps. In talking to people, after breaking away the initial bullshit posh, none of these people really enjoy what they are doing in the first place they are just using it as a segway into other things. We are all guilty of doing something of the like in our lifetimes, whether that involves people, jobs, cliques, or other social circles, to just move on up the ladder. However, I have no desire to sit crunching crunching crunching numbers just to find out where the missing penny is among the financial documents. Personally I could give a fuck less where it is. Granted I do give bean counters and other financial professionals credit for being able to do such a thing but I want no part of it. 
Took a fishing trip over the weekend with a couple of good friends up to Manistee, home of the Big and Little Manistee Rivers. The trip was most exciting in that it was the first time I was able to officially use my fly rod and try a go at 20 lb. salmon. Latching onto a fish of that size is exhilarating to say the least, even though I didn't land one the experience will carry over to the next go around. This trip was also the first time I have spent in a tent away from civilization for more than a night. I have spent stints in Montana whilst elk hunting away from civilization but bot in a tent nor without a bathroom. I was a bit skeptical going into it, went with the flow learning from the seasoned campers and had a great weekend. 
As for the hunt that has ensued over the last two months, I find myself at a stalemate that should have occurred a year ago this time. Switching back and forth from do I enter the inevitable work world now or pursue higher education? My thoughts and wants later in life lead me to pursue higher education. I will be moving from the great city of Chicago next week onward to tackle the admissions tests we all dread. These tests essentially determine the rest of our lives, professionally and personally. One has to become somewhat of a hermit in order to do extremely well. That is what must be done.
Peace peace peace piece 

No comments: